Survival Run: Human Path Training Camp 2013
In collaboration with Fuego y Agua Events LLC, The Human Path Survival School is hosting a Survival Run Training Camp to help prepare competitors for the upcoming Survival Run: Hunter Gatherer taking place October 5th in Rocksprings, TX and for Survival Run: Nicaragua, taking place February 5th on Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua. Be prepared to be challenged both mentally and physically!
- ARRIVAL: Friday, August 2nd, 6:00pm
- START: Saturday, August 3rd 4:00am
- FINISH: Sunday, August 4th 4:00pm
- FULL WEEKEND: $180.00
- OBSTACLE CHALLENGE (12pm Sunday): $40
Aside from the race-competitors who will be attending, this weekend training camp will be open to anyone and everyone who is interested in training the hunter gatherer skills as well as the endurance, natural obstacle and problem solving skills.
There will be a multitude of hunter-gatherer skills covered, all of which could potentially be a part of the October race. The skills we will learn and practice include:
- Friction fire making (bow drill)
- Knife care and use
- Cordage making
- Survival bow making/arrow fletching (pre-prepared arrow wood), intuitive shooting
- Atlatl making and throwing
- Knots and rope-work
- Medicinal and edible plant identification & use
- Edible insects & gathering
- Sandal & primitive footwear making
- Snare making
- Primitive containers and water purification/boiling
- Primitive cooking
These are a lot of skills to cover in one weekend, all culminating in a sprint-distance (~5K) race that puts your learning to use, along with some challenging obstacles.
We will be working late into the night on Saturday night and back up early Sunday morning. We will also be running the race Sunday at noon - so understand that it may be very hot.
All participants in the full weekend will be able to take home what they will be making as a part of the class, in order to be able to practice and review what is learned over the weekend:
- Bow-drill fire kit
- Hand-made cordage
- "The Herbal Medic" field guide
- An atlatl and atlatl dart
- A primitive bow and arrow(s)
- A figure-4 snare
- Home-made sandals
For anyone who would like to drop in on Sunday and test your survival and obstacle racing skills, you can attend the race only on Sunday. The registration cost for the race only is $40 and does not include any of the above items.
- Clothing: Seasonal appropriate/race clothing
- Shoes: lightweight training/racing shoes/sandals
- Knife - Preferably Fixed-Blade, 4" -6" blade length. A sturdy lock blade is ok if necessary.
- Water - Camelback or canteen with some way to carry
- Light - Headlamp or what works for you (batteries)
- Parachute Cord - 10ft minimum of Paracord
- Something to take notes with/on (to include camera if you wish)
- Tent or Tarp(s) or Hammock, etc. to camp in. Even if you're sleeping in the open, bring something to store and your gear dry in and out of the way when you're not using it.
- Sleeping Bag or some way to stay warm during the night.
- Food - Energy food, whatever works for you - we will have fire, you can cook
- Mess Kit - Bowl, Plate, Spoon, Fork
- Sunscreen, insect repellent
- Timepiece, watch, etc.
Optional (not necessary, but bring if you have and would like to use):
- Camp Chair or some kind of padding to sit on the ground on. Not a necessity, but nice to have.
- Personal First Aid Kit - especially Medications if you are supposed to be taking them (not really in the "optional" category, and Epi Pen if you are highly allergic to anything
- Field manuals related to any of the topics of the weekend.
Things NOT to bring:
- Drugs (other than drugs prescribed by your physician)
- Personal Distraction Devices (iPod, Portable CD players, Gameboy, etc) - Anything that has nothing to do with why we are out here
- Cell Phone - Leave in the car or at least off/mute except for personal time, unless it's your camera or video for recording information