Eric Orton Retreat Travel and Itinerary
A complete travel itinerary and weekly schedule will be provided upon registration. However, the following items must be kept in mind when making your travel plans:
- Flight is not included in Package Price, for a complete list of what is included, please scroll towards the bottom of this page.
- Recommended inbound/outbound airport is Managua International Airport (MGA). Most US flights arrive in Managua at night, and most US flights depart from Managua in the morning.
- Arriving early and staying late a few days to see the sights in Nicaragua is encouraged, but all retreat attendees must be at Managua Hills Bed & Breakfast by Saturday night on November 9th. This means your flight should be booked for arrival on Saturday, November 9th.
- Shuttle to/from airport upon arrival/departure is included. Once you book your travel, please send your itinerary to zac(at)fuegoyagua.com to setup your airport shuttle to/from Managua Hills Bed & Breakfast.
- Recommended earliest flight departure from Managua International Airport is Saturday morning, November 16th. Friday, November 15th hotel stay at Managua Hills Bed & Breakfast is included in package.
Travel Itinerary Overview
This is an overview of the Itinerary. Arrival and Departure dates are set, but activities and details are subject to change:
Saturday, February 9:
- Arrive at Managua International Airport (most likely late evening/night, flight not included in package)
- Shuttle to Managua Hills B&B
- Stay at Managua Hills B&B
Sunday, February 10:
- Shuttle to Ferry for Isla de Ometepe
- Ferry to Isla de Ometepe
- Shuttle to Totoco Eco-Lodge
- Retreat Activities begin
Sunday, February 10 to Friday, February 15:
- 5 Nights at Totoco Eco-Lodge
- Retreat Activities (see sample daily schedule below)
Friday, February 16:
- Closing Activities
- Shuttle to Ferry for Mainland
- Ferry to Mainland
- Shuttle to Masaya Market on Mainland
- Shuttle to Managua Hills B&B
Saturday, February 16:
- Shuttle to Airport
- Flight Home
Sample Daily Schedule
The following is a sample of what you can expect on a daily basis during the retreat. Each day will differ, covering different terrain, distances, discussion topics, and running clinics. The following is only an example of what you can expect during a typical day of the retreat. Of course, every activity is completely optional should you prefer to sleep in or relax in a hammock overlooking the island.
- 5:30am: Early morning 4-6 mile sunrise run on the isthmus’ sandy beaches.
- 7:00am: Delicious breakfast with bright colorful fruit and fresh coffee grown on local neighboring farms.
- 8:30-9:30am: Round-Table Discussion: Mind-set of an Ultra-runner
- 9:30-10:30am: Hands-on Clinic: Running Form
- 10:30am-12:30pm: 10-12 mile run to a nearby waterfall through the jungle, plantain farms, and hidden communities on varied terrain (mud/dirt/rock/road).
- 12:30pm: Our guides will have a picnic lunch ready and waiting for you upon your arrival at the waterfall.
- 1:30-4:00pm: Rest and enjoy a scenic drive back to the Lodge where you can relax by the swimming pool with your new friends, receive your complimentary massage, sip on fresh fruit smoothies, or read a book and fall asleep in your villa’s hammock in true Nicaraguan style.
- 4:00-6:00pm: As the temperatures cool, you’ll practice your hillwork as you climb up and across the volcano for a spectacular view as the sun sets between mainland Nicaragua and your volcanic island.
- 6:30pm: Wind down and delight in Totoco’s open-air veranda restaurant as you savor the locally grown fruits and vegetables (and fresh meats for those non-vegetarians) shared family-style with all your, now dear, friends. Make sure you get plenty of sleep because tomorrow morning, you’ll be waking up early to hustle up and down the jungles of Maderas Volcano.
Retreat Package Price Includes:
Several daily guided runs through varied terrain (i.e. jungle, sand, road, uphill/downhill) led by Coach Eric Orton with the assistance of local Ometepean and ultramarathon champion, Johnson Cruz Barrios, and Fuego y Agua ambassador, Tyler Tomasello
2 nights stay in Managua Hills Bed & Breakfast (Managua, Nicaragua - upon arrival and departure)
5 nights stay in Totoco Eco-Lodge (Island of Ometepe)
All ground and water transportation in Nicaragua (including airport shuttles)
All meals (local, organic, nutritional, delicious) and one non-alcoholic beverage per meal
Running Clinics and Lectures
Proper Running Form - Transform your running technique to embrace your body’s natural running form for lifelong, injury-free running
Ultrarunning Nutrition - How to eat for peak performance, healthy living, and the ultimate running body
Strengthening Program - Work towards sculpting your perfect running body for ultramarathon distances
Ultrarunning Mind-Set - Your body is only as strong as your mind allows it to be, learn techniques and ways to ‘yes’ when every muscle says ‘no’
Run/hike up (and hopefully down) a rugged “trail” and swim in the lake of a once active volcano
All park entry fees and related activity costs
Free-time to explore and photograph Ometepe, relax by a beautiful swimming pool overlooking Volcano Concepcion, rest in a hammock, or enjoy the company of all your new friends
Complimentary running related gear - valued at $200
Complimentary 1-hour massage
The Following are NOT Included in Package Price:
Flight to/from Managua, Nicaragua
Running fuels (gels, Gu, Honey Stingers, etc.)
Additional beverages during meals