2nd Annual Hunter Gatherer Survival Run
If you agree with this statement: "If I get lost, hurt or die, it is my OWN damn fault," then you are eligible to apply for a Survival Run.
Due to an overwhelming amount of applications, we have included a $10 non-refundable application fee that will be deducted from your race entry upon registration. If not accepted, you may complete the requirements and apply again without an additional application fee. Your application will not be reviewed until we receive your application fee. Use the "Buy Now" link below.
- When: 4:00am Saturday, October 4, 2014
- Where: Camp Eagle, Rocksprings, TX
- What: Absolutely Brutal 50k+ Survival Run
- How: By Application Only
An Application only 50k+ Ultra Distance Survival Race in the beautiful but rugged Texas Hill Country. Everything out here bites, stings, scratches and just plain hurts. The objective of this race is to strip you of all comforts and to put you in a true Survival mode. The obstacles/challenges are natural and based on the native cultural history of the area and the Hunter-Gatherer way of life. The terrain will be extremely rough, with some trail, lots of bushwhacking etc. Tasks will include memorizing, carrying, climbing, throwing, digging, building etc..
The obstacles (challenges) are setup to make this course pass or fail. You may finish the race, but you may not be able to complete it, this will make more sense later. The medal is in 4-parts, you will collect pieces of the medal along the course. This course contains some of the most challenging obstacles ever seen in an obstacle course event. THIS IS NOT your average obstacle course, you will not be scaling walls or doing burpees, you may be doing things you have never done before! This is a running race and REQUIRES Ultramarathon distance experience. Most challenges will not be revealed until race day; be ready for anything!
- Survival Run Pricing - $275 (Early Bird), $300 (after Sept 1), $325 (after Sept 20)
NOTE: *By Application Only - read ALL INFORMATION below before applying
IMPORTANT! Things to Know for Hunter Gatherer Survival Run
- THIS IS HARD AND DANGEROUS! Don't bring your mom and dad, this race is for big kids!
- Entry is by Application Only, use the Application Link Above to apply for the race. Please review the regulations and requirements stated on the application.
- No Aid Stations Provided (only Obstacle Checkpoints).
- Carry all of your own food (some food will be provided at undisclosed locations).
- Filter your own water (learn how to use your water filter BEFORE coming to the race).
- Learn how to make a bowdrill fire before you race.
- Learn the meaning of sling and travois before you race.
- Learn how to make a traditional bow and arrow before you race.
- IMPORTANT!! When the race starts, you will NOT have your shoes, your first task is to make your own footwear for the race. Materials will be provided by LUNA Sandals.
- Proof of volunteering can be brought to packet pickup before race day, just state your intention to volunteer on the application.
- Very limited entry, entrants must be pre-approved based on racing experience.
- Survival Run athletes are REQUIRED to be at Camp Eagle on Friday before the race for Packet Pickup.
- Learn to climb a tree; ropes are for gyms.
- Learn proper race hydration and nutrition and run an ultra BEFORE coming to this race.
- Complaints will be used against you. This is NOT your average hometown race with perceived dangers, this is REAL!
- Fear is your worst enemy on this course; leave it at home.
- CAREFULLY Review List of Items Needed to Race.
- Being prepared for anything is the only thing that will get you through this.
- You MUST be physically able to run over 50km, swim, climb, jump and carry heavy objects.
Rules for Hunter Gatherer Survival Run
*NOTE: Survival Runnners must also review the standard Hunter Gatherer Rules & Information
- CAREFULLY Review List of Items Needed to Race (FINAL LIST will be announced by August 1st).
- Drop Bags are allowed ONLY at Start/Finish area
- Cutoff Time for the Hunter Gatherer Survival Run is 24 HOURS
- Other cutoff times on the course will be announced pre-race. These cutoff times will be STRICTLY enforced.
- Any runner who refuses to get off of the course past cutoff time is immediately disqualified and MUST hand in their race number. If they continue, they are no longer under the race jurisdiction and protection.
- Survival Runners who wish to drop out of the race MUST report to the nearest volunteer BEFORE doing anything else! - Those who do not respect this rule will be disqualified and banned from racing any future Fuego y Agua Events.
- Survival Runnners cannot receive medical aid during race from anyone not in the race. *Survival Runnners must carry their own medical kit, see list of items.
- All Obstacles must be completed to be eligible for the prize and Winner's Trophy.
- No Aid Stations Provided (only Obstacle Checkpoints).
- No Crew Allowed anywhere but Start/Finish Line!
- No Packs allowed, you will make your own with what you have.
Required Items for Hunter Gatherer Survival Run
These are the ONLY allowed starting items, pack light. List is subject to change until September 1st, 2014. Your choice of gear makes a difference in your racing. Be smart with what you decide to bring. If you are found with any other items than what is listed below, you will be immediately disqualified from the race.
- ONE Top, ONE bottom - No Socks, Leg or Arm Sleeves - You will get wet
- ONE Headlamp and extra batteries - Waterproof recommended.
- ONE good Survival Knife with sheath - fixed blade, non serrated with some weight to it recommended (think chopping, handle as hammer and fine cuts) - key examples are the SOG Force or Benchmade Bushcrafter - No Machetes, no firestarters and no hidden in-handle survival kits!!
- ONE un-sewn piece of stout fabric (about 2 yards minimum, canvas recommended) - the more the better - NO PRE-MADE PACKS OR SHIRTS ALLOWED!.
- ONE Large needle & heavy thread (artificial sinew is ideal)
- ONE Small Square of Soft Leather (4" x 4" minimum)
- FOUR Large Feathers (8" or longer recommended)
- ONE Small Pencil
- ONE 1/2" Cold Chisel
- ONE Horseshoe Nail
- TWO bandannas or Buff Headwear (recommended)
- ONE Roll of "parachute" 550 cord - about 100ft recommended
- ONE Emergency Blanket - do some research, some are better than others
- Your nutrition food/electrolytes for 24+ hours - you must carry it with you, think about keeping it dry.
- ONE Water purifier - some good examples are WaterToGo or LifeStraw
- ONE Water bottle for purification, at least 16oz - if purifier is included in bottle, then Item above is not required.
- ONE Additional water reservoir or container - at least 1 liter collapsible reservoir recommended
- ONE Wilderness First Aid Kit (Adventure Medical Kit - Ultralight - recommended)
- ONE Whistle
- TWO Large Glowsticks (must wear at all times when dark)
Required Insurance for Hunter Gatherer Survival Run
You are REQUIRED to provide your own Medical insurance if you are participating in the Survival Run, but you are not required to purchase through our recommended provider. YOU MUST Bring Proof of Insurance Certificate with you to Packet Pickup