Survival Run: The Celts (WALES) | 1st Annual | August 23, 2014
Due to an overwhelming amount of applications, we have included a $10 non-refundable application fee that will be deducted from your race entry upon registration. If not accepted, you may complete the requirements and apply again without an additional application fee.
Your application will not be reviewed until we receive your application fee. Use the "Buy Now" link below.
If you agree with this statement: "If I get lost, hurt or die, it is my OWN damn fault," then you are eligible to apply for a Survival Run.
- When: 4:00am August 23, 2014
- Where: Kenfig Nature Preserve, Wales, United Kingdom
- What: Absolutely Brutal 50k Obstacle Course Race
- How: By Application Only
- Price: $275 before April 23rd
An Application-Only 50k Ultra Distance Survival Race in the wild landscape of Southern Wales. The objective of this race is to strip you of all comforts and put you in true survival mode. The obstacles/challenges are based on The Ancient Celts.
The terrain will be extremely rough, with some trail, sand dunes, hills and lots of bushwhacking. Tasks will include, carrying, climbing, throwing, digging, building, swimming and more savage verbs that have yet to be added to the dictionary.
The obstacles and challenges are set up to make this course pass or fail. You may finish the race, but not be able to complete it as the obstacles will likely prove to be far too difficult for you.
The race uses a four-part medal system and you will collect each of the four medals along the course as you complete obstacles. This course contains some of the most challenging obstacles ever seen in an obstacle course event.
THIS IS NOT your average obstacle course, you will not be scaling walls or doing burpees, you may be doing things you have never done before!
This is a running race and REQUIRES Ultramarathon distance experience.
Most obstacles will not be revealed until race day; be ready for anything!
NOTE: *By Application Only - read ALL INFORMATION below BEFORE applying
IMPORTANT! Things to Know for Survival Run: The Celts
- THIS IS HARD AND DANGEROUS! Don't bring your mom and dad, this race is for big kids!
- Entry is by Application Only, use the "Apply For Survival Run" Link above to apply for the race. Please review the regulations and requirements stated on the application.
- Due to an overwhelming amount of applications, we have included a $10 application fee that will be deducted from your race entry upon registration.
- No Aid Stations Provided (only Obstacle Checkpoints).
- Carry all of your own food (some food will be provided at undisclosed locations).
- Filter your own water (learn how to use your water filter BEFORE coming to the race).
- Learn to throw a spear.
- Very limited entry, entrants must be pre-approved based on racing experience.
- Survival Run athletes are REQUIRED to be at Kenfig Nature Preserve on Friday 4pm before the race for Packet Pickup.
- Learn to climb a tree; ropes are for gyms.
- Learn proper race hydration and nutrition and run an ultra BEFORE coming to this race.
- Complaints will be used against you. This is NOT your average hometown race with perceived dangers, this is REAL!
- Fear is your worst enemy on this course; leave it at home.
- There are no handicaps given other than the ones you may develop during the race.
- CAREFULLY review List of Items Needed to Race (FINAL LIST will be announced by August 1st).
- Being prepared for anything is the only thing that will get you through this.
- You MUST be physically able to run 50km, swim, climb, jump and carry heavy objects.
Rules for Survival Run: The Celts
*NOTE: Survival Run athletes must also review the standard "The Celts" Race Rules.
CAREFULLY Review List of Items Needed to Race (FINAL LIST will be announced by July 1st).
- Drop Bags are allowed ONLY at Start/Finish area
- Cutoff Time for the Survival Run: The Celts is 20 hours
- Other cutoff times on the course will be announced pre-race. These cutoff times will be STRICTLY enforced.
- Any runner who refuses to get off of the course past cutoff time is immediately disqualified and MUST hand in their race number. If they continue, they are no longer under the race jurisdiction and protection.
- Athletes who wish to drop out of the race MUST report to the nearest volunteer BEFORE doing anything else! - Those who do not respect this rule will be disqualified and banned from racing any future Fuego y Agua Events.
- Survival Run athletes cannot receive medical aid during race from anyone not in the race. *Survival Run athletes must carry their own medical kit, see list of items.
- All Obstacles must be completed to be eligible for the prize and Winner's Trophy.
- No Aid Stations Provided (only Obstacle Checkpoints).
- No Crew Allowed anywhere but Start/Finish Line!
- No Packs allowed, you will make your own with what you have.
Required Items for Survival Run: The Celts
These are the ONLY allowed starting items, pack light. List is subject to change until August 1st. Your choice of gear makes a difference in your racing. Be smart with what you decide to bring. If you are found with any other items than what is listed below, you will be immediately disqualified from the race.
- Headlamp and extra batteries (waterproof recommended)
- A good survival knife - fixed blade, non serrated with some weight to it recommended (think both chopping and fine cuts) - one key example is the SOG Force
- piece of fabric (about the size of a shirt) or an old cotton t-shirt - the more the better
- 2 large bandannas or Buffs
- Water purifier (your choice of type and brand) - examples are LifeStraw or SteriPen
- Roll of "parachute" 550 cord (more than 100ft recommended)
- 1 Emergency Blanket
- Your food rations for 50k - (Start/Finish is only place where you can stash food, everything else you carry with you).
- Electrolyte Tablets - examples are SCaps, SaltStick or Endurolye
- 1 water bottle, at least 16oz
- Additional water reservoir or container - 1 liter collapsible reservoir recommended
- Wilderness First Aid Kit (Adventure Medical Kit - Ultralight - recommended)
Required Insurance for Survival Run: The Celts
You are REQUIRED to provide your own insurance if you are in the Survival Run, but you are not required to purchase through our provider. If you do purchase from a separate provider, you MUST provide a letter and a certificate of coverage from them stating they will cover you during the Survival Run for at least $500,000 in medical and evacuation costs. Instructions coming soon.