Survival Run: The Celts (WALES) | 1st Annual | August 23, 2014
Due to an overwhelming amount of applications, we have included a $10 non-refundable application fee that will be deducted from your race entry upon registration. If not accepted, you may complete the requirements and apply again without an additional application fee. **NOTE: Your application will not be reviewed until we receive your application fee. Use the "Buy Now" link below.
If you agree with this statement: "If I get lost, hurt or die, it is my OWN damn fault," then you are eligible to apply for a Survival Run.
- When: 4:00am August 23, 2014
- Where: Kenfig Nature Reserve, South Wales, United Kingdom
- What: Absolutely Brutal 50k+ Obstacle Course Race
- How: By Application Only
An Application-Only 50k+ Ultra Distance Survival race in the rugged landscape of South Wales. The objective of this race is to strip you of all comforts and put you in a true survival mode. The obstacles/challenges are inspired by and based on the Ancient Celts history and daily survival.
The course will be very rough, with some trail, sand dunes, hills and lots of bushwhacking. Tasks may include, carrying, climbing, throwing, digging, building, swimming and more savage verbs that have yet to be added to the dictionary.
The obstacles and challenges are set up to make this course pass or fail. You may finish the race, but may not be able to complete it as the obstacles could prove to be far too difficult for you.
The race uses a four-part medal system and you will collect each of the four medals along the course as you complete obstacles. This course may contain some of the most challenging obstacles ever seen in an event of this kind.
THIS IS NOT your average obstacle course, it is not really even an obstacle course, you will not be scaling walls or doing burpees, you will be doing things you have never done before!
This is a running race and REQUIRES Ultramarathon distance experience.
Most chllenges will not be revealed until race day; be ready for anything!
NOTE: **By Application Only - read ALL INFORMATION below BEFORE applying
IMPORTANT! Things to Know for Survival Run: The Celts
- THIS IS HARD AND DANGEROUS! Don't bring your mom and dad, this race is for big kids!
- Entry is by Application Only, use the "Apply For Survival Run" Link above to apply for the race. Please review the regulations and requirements stated on the application.
- Due to an overwhelming amount of applications, we have included a $10 application fee that will be deducted from your race entry upon registration.
- No Aid Stations Provided (only Checkpoints).
- Carry all of your own food and nutrition.
- Filter your own water (learn how to use your water filter BEFORE coming to the race).
- Learn to throw a spear and a sling.
- Very limited entry, entrants must be pre-approved based on racing experience.
- Survival Runners are REQUIRED to be at Kenfig Nature Reserve on Friday August 22nd before 4pm for Packet Pickup.
- Learn to climb a tree; ropes are for gyms.
- Learn proper race hydration and nutrition and run an ultra BEFORE coming to this race.
- Complaints will be used against you. This is NOT your average hometown race with perceived dangers, this is REAL!
- Fear is your worst enemy on this course; leave it at home.
- There are no handicaps given other than the ones you may develop during the race.
- CAREFULLY review List of Items Needed to Race (FINAL LIST will be announced by August 1st).
- Being prepared for anything is the only thing that will get you through this.
- You MUST be physically able to run at least 50km, swim, climb, jump and carry heavy objects.
Rules for Survival Run: The Celts
*NOTE: Survival Run athletes must also review the standard "The Celts" Race Rules.
CAREFULLY Review List of Items Needed to Race (FINAL LIST will be announced by July 1st).
- Drop Bags are allowed ONLY at Start/Finish area
- Cutoff Time for the Survival Run: The Celts is 20 hours
- Other cutoff times on the course will be announced pre-race. These cutoff times will be STRICTLY enforced.
- Any runner who refuses to get off of the course past cutoff time is immediately disqualified and MUST hand in their race number. If they continue, they are no longer under the race jurisdiction and protection.
- Athletes who wish to drop out of the race MUST report to the nearest volunteer BEFORE doing anything else! - Those who do not respect this rule will be disqualified and banned from racing any future Fuego y Agua Events.
- Survival Run athletes cannot receive medical aid during race from anyone not in the race. *Survival Run athletes must carry their own medical kit, see list of items.
- All Obstacles must be completed to be eligible for the prize and Winner's Trophy.
- No Aid Stations Provided (only Obstacle Checkpoints).
- No Crew Allowed anywhere but Start/Finish Line!
- No Packs allowed, you will make your own with what you have.
Required Items for Survival Run: The Celts
These are the ONLY allowed starting items, pack light. List is subject to change until August 1st. Your choice of gear makes a difference in your racing. Be smart with what you decide to bring. If you are found with any other items than what is listed below, you will be immediately disqualified from the race.
- Headlamp and extra batteries - Waterproof recommended.
- A good Survival Knife with sheath - fixed blade, non serrated with some weight to it recommended (think chopping, handle as hammer and fine cuts) - key examples are the SOG Force or Benchmade Bushcrafter - No Machetes, no firestarters and no hidden in-handle survival kits!!
- An un-sewn piece of stout fabric (about 2 yards) - the more the better - NO PRE-MADE PACKS OR SHIRTS ALLOWED!.
- Large needle and heavy thread
- 2 large bandannas or Buffs
- Roll of "parachute" 550 cord - about 100ft recommended
- At least 6oz of Goose Grease in a sturdy Ziploc bag - this can be purchased in the UK
- 1 Emergency Blanket - do some research, some are better than others
- Your nutrition food/electrolytes for 20 hours - you must carry it with you.
- Water purifier - some good examples are WaterToGo or LifeStraw
- 1 water bottle for purification, at least 16oz - if purifier is included in bottle, then Item above is not required.
- Additional water reservoir or container - 1 liter collapsible reservoir recommended
- Wilderness First Aid Kit (Adventure Medical Kit - Ultralight - recommended)
Required Insurance for Survival Run: The Celts
You are REQUIRED to provide your own insurance if you are in the Survival Run, but you are not required to purchase through our recommended provider. If you do purchase from a separate provider, you MUST provide a letter and a certificate of coverage from them stating they will cover you during the Survival Run for at least $500,000 in medical and evacuation costs.
- Go to: http://www.romaglobal.com/
- Choose either Patriot Travel Medical Insurance or Patriot Platinum Travel Medical Insurance. This is your choice.
- Purchase no less than $500,000 Maximum Coverage.
- Deductible amount is up to you - remember this is 100% your responsibility!
- YOU MUST choose SPORTS RIDER as Coverage Option. Any additional items are optional.
- Coverage minimum is 5 days, MAKE SURE It covers August 22-24! - YOU MUST Bring Proof of Insurance Certificate with you to Packet Pickup