Registration is currently closed while we find a date/venue for this event
Hunter Gatherer Survival Run is a 50k+ Ultra Distance Survival Race in the rugged El Cajon Wilderness outside of San Diego. The objective of this race is to strip you of all comforts and to put you in true Survival mode. The obstacles/challenges are natural and based on the native cultural history of the area and the Hunter-Gatherer way of life.
This is not your average ultramarathon, adventure race or obstacle course. You will not be scaling walls, doing burpees, kayaking or only running for hours on end, but you will be doing things you have never done before! You will be challenged with climbing, swimming/diving, carrying all sorts of things, digging, running brutal terrain, throwing (maybe throwing up), memorizing, and surviving in this epic event! This race has aggressive cutoffs and requires ultramarathon distance experience. Most of the course and challenges are not revealed until race day; be ready for anything!
**If you are interested in the "run-only" 25km and 50km, those events are the day after the Survival Run, please visit the Widowmaker Trail Runs page for more information and to register.
"EL DIABLO DEL CAJON" CHALLENGE
100+ absolutely brutal kilometers in two days! Discounted entry is available for those who register for both the Hunter Gatherer Survival Run and the Widowmaker 50k the very next day. **You must qualify for the Survival Run and enter into both events to participate in this Challenge!
Additional Winner's Trophies will be awarded to those who complete this event. Contact us for the Discount Code.
$275 (Early Bird), $300 (after July 31), $325 (after August 19)
Due to an overwhelming amount of applications, we charge a $10 non-refundable application fee that is deducted from your entry fee on registration. If not accepted into the race, you may complete the requirements and apply again without an additional application fee.
Rules & Things to Know
Applicants must have ultra distance running experience to be considered for entry! Accepted applicants will receive a registration link via UltraSignup.
- Survival Run is very hard and dangerous, don't bring your mom and dad. **This race is for big kids.
- Complaints will be used against you. **This is NOT your average hometown race with perceived dangers, this is REAL!
- Entry is by application only with limited entry. **Applications are approved and prioritized based on racing experience.
- Learn to climb trees. **Ropes and bars are for gyms.
- Learn how to make a bowdrill fire, the meaning a travois and how to make and shoot a traditional bow and arrow and sling BEFORE the race.
- Runners must be physically able to run over 80km, swim, climb, jump and carry heavy loads.
- Learn proper race hydration and nutrition before coming to this race. **Aid Stations are NOT provided on the course. Water may be provided only at certain locations.
- GPS Devices of any type are NOT allowed, course maps are NOT provided. **Course marking is minimal but sufficientl, runners must be able to follow directions and self-navigate.
- CUTOFF time for the Hunter Gatherer Survival Run is 24 hours. **Other cutoff times on the course will be announced pre-race. All cutoff times will be STRICTLY enforced.
- Any runner who refuses to get off of the course past a cutoff time is immediately disqualified and must hand in their race number. **If they insist on continuing, they must sign a waiver stating they are no longer under the race jurisdiction and protection.
- Any runner who wishes to drop out of the race MUST report to the nearest volunteer BEFORE doing anything else! **Those who do not respect this rule will be disqualified and banned from racing any future Fuego y Agua Events.
- Runners are NOT allowed to take rides of any sort during the course of the race. **Motorcycles, Bicycles, Cars, Trucks, Horses, Cows, etc. are NOT allowed!
- Throwing trash out on the course is prohibited! **Any runner found leaving trash on the course will be Immediately Disqualified!
- Runners cannot receive outside medical aid during race from anyone not in the race.
- No crew allowed anywhere but at the Start/Finish Line.
- Runners must provide their own Adventure Sports Insurance, specific instructions are listed below.
- All challenges must be completed to be eligible for any prize and winner's trophy.
- No Packs allowed, Runners will make their own at the start of the race.
- Runners must Filter your own water (learn how to use your water filter BEFORE coming to the race).
- IMPORTANT!! When the race starts, runners will NOT have their shoes, the first task is to make their footwear for the race. **Materials are provided by LUNA Sandals.
Required Items for Hunter Gatherer Survival Run
These are the ONLY allowed starting items, pack light. List is subject to change until September 1st, 2015. Your choice of gear makes a difference in your racing. Be smart with what you decide to bring. If you are found with any other items than what is listed below, you will be immediately disqualified from the race.
- ONE Top, ONE bottom - No Socks, Leg or Arm Sleeves - You will get wet
- ONE Headlamp and extra batteries - Waterproof recommended.
- ONE good Survival Knife with sheath - fixed blade, non serrated with some weight to it recommended (think chopping, handle as hammer and fine cuts) - key examples are the SOG Force or Benchmade Bushcrafter - No Machetes, no firestarters and no hidden in-handle survival kits!!
- ONE un-sewn piece of stout fabric (about 2 yards minimum, canvas recommended) - the more the better - NO PRE-MADE PACKS OR SHIRTS ALLOWED!.
- ONE Large needle & heavy thread (artificial sinew is ideal)
- ONE Small Square of Soft Leather (4" x 4" minimum)
- ONE Small Pencil
- ONE 1/2" Cold Chisel
- ONE Horseshoe Nail
- TWO bandannas or Buff Headwear (recommended)
- ONE Roll of "parachute" 550 cord - about 100ft recommended
- ONE Emergency Blanket - do some research, some are better than others
- Your nutrition food/electrolytes for 24+ hours - you must carry it with you, think about keeping it dry.
- ONE Water purifier - some good examples are WaterToGo or LifeStraw
- ONE Water bottle for purification, at least 16oz - if purifier is included in bottle, then Item above is not required.
- ONE Additional water reservoir or container - at least 1 liter collapsible reservoir recommended
- ONE Wilderness First Aid Kit (Adventure Medical Kit - Ultralight - recommended)
- ONE Whistle
- TWO Large Glowsticks (must wear at all times when dark)
Insurance for Hunter Gatherer Survival Run
ONLY If you live outside of the Continental United States, you are REQUIRED to provide your own Medical insurance if you are participating in the Survival Run, but you are not required to purchase through our recommended provider. YOU MUST Bring This Proof of Insurance Certificate with you to Packet Pickup
- Go to: http://www.romaglobal.com/
- Choose either Patriot Travel Medical Insurance or Patriot Platinum Travel Medical Insurance. This is your choice.
- Purchase no less than $500,000 Maximum Coverage.
- Deductible amount is up to you - remember this is 100% your responsibility!
- YOU MUST choose SPORTS RIDER as Coverage Option. Any additional items are optional.
- Coverage minimum is 5 days, MAKE SURE It covers the appropriate race dates! **You MUST Bring Proof of Insurance Certificate with you to Packet Pickup